Tuesday, February 24, 2009

T-Minus 5 Days and Counting...

Sunday is the dropdead day for a few of our projects. You see, we originally planned on having Bowie's nursery done in time for his 2nd birthday party. Yeah... that didn't happen. His birthday party is being held on Sunday (a couple days early) and his room doesn't have a ceiling or walls. But I am sure Bowie doesn't mind, really... at least that is what we tell ourselves.

What will be done, by driving myself like no tomorrow, is the kitchen and phase one of the master bathroom.

Yesterday, Steven and I installed the beadboard backsplashes (he cut, I glued & nailed). I put a first coat of paint on last night, and did a few touch-ups this morning. Tonight, we will put in the little shoe piece around the bottom edge.

Now... I do have a wild hair to paint the laminte counters flat black. I don't like the way the blue-gray counters make my gray cabinets look a bit green. But, this is a big project in terms of prep as it will require a lot of masking off, since I'd have to use Fusion spray paint. But really, this is the type of project that should be done before the shoe is installed.

Hmmm... should I go for it? hmmmm...

After that, the kitchen just needs a good cleaning. And then I will repaint the floor. It is currently a dark brown (Cottage Brown), but I want to do it in charcoal. I'd love to do a high glass charcoal or black, but gloss is not very forgiving and the floor in the kitchen is jsut subfloor. I will think on that a bit.

As for the bathroom, it's installing quarter round. (The walls are a bit wavy and made installation of the baseboard so fun). Caulking. Paint touch-ups. Tear cheap shelves out of cubby and replace with drawers I bought at BB&B. Sew curtain to cover up cubby opening. Install shower curtain (where are you, UPS?) Do another coat of floor paint and varathane - the final coat to cover up scuffs and dings from plumbing installation.

It doesn't seem like much, but we also have to get the house tidied up for the party. And I have to bake cakes and snacks....

And still, I am raring to go on the dining room. I guess pink paint is a big motivator for me. ;)

Pictures soon!!!

3 comments:

Helen said...

Wanted you to know how very much I enjoyed the Spurgeon photos and story.

puck said...

I am glad you enjoyed it... stay tuned - I will be featuring a lot of his homes here! he was the basis of my grad school admission paper!

Anonymous said...

Cant wait to see a pink dining room!