Saturday, March 21, 2009

Farewell my sweet plum tree...

I will miss you, beautiful flowering plum tree...

You see, last Fall, our gorgeous little tree died. I hoped and hoped that maybe it wasn't true. Maybe the tree would rebound and be OK this Spring. But sadly, the tree is still crusty and dead. Above is a picture of it in its full glory last year. Below is what it looked like today:

It used to make a neat little feature leading up to our steps. It even arched over the path that leads around to the side garden, to the backyard... almost as if it knew that its job was to be pretty and make an entrance there:



But I had to face reality today and begin researching options for replacement. (Sniffle sniffle...)

I sincerely hope you will all chime in and give your feedback. Please let me know which of these options below are your favorites!


Weeping Peach - Pink Cascade... I bet it would make a neat arch when full grown. And a peach tree is more unique, right?
Robinson Crabapple. Do you think Crabapples are too common?


Oklahoma Redbud... It doesn't get as big as the Eastern.


Cherry Akebono... it may be a smidge too big...

Pink Dogwood. Too common? But so pretty!

I am totally open to suggestion as well... but, obviously, am partial to pink! I am looking for something not 15 - 20 feet high. Trying to stay 15 or so wide. Bushy is nice, not too narrow.

6 comments:

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

I love them all...I would decide by how large they get and stick with a smaller one. I am sorry about your tree though. A few years ago we lost a huge tree that caused me to have to re-landscape the whole front yard...went from shady to full sun.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the tree. It was lovely. I love the weeping tree style. It seems so whimsical. We were at the nursery yesterday and saw that style for $90 for a small tree to $220 for a larger version. It seemed reasonable for such beautiful trees! I'm curious to see what you pick...

Helen said...

Will the Bradford Pear live in your part of the world? It's so lovely in bloom. What do you think caused your tree's demise? Have a wonderful week .. in spite of it.

Ambi said...

I like the redbud and the dogwood. They have such unique, vibrant colors rather than the pale pink I see so much of.

I'm sorry your tree died. We've been through a tree in our backyard and have nothing right now. Our dirt is incredibly sandy and doesn't seem to want to grow anything but these awful bush-tree hybrid thingies that have just taken over our fence line. I'm dying to have a tree! Maybe this year one will actually live...

puck said...

Helen - Aren't bradford pears pretty? I am thinking of doing one in the backyard!

Someday when the front trees die (they have been there over 100 years), I think we will do a row of eastern redbuds.

Mrs. Petrie - I think we found the culprit. Tiny little holes all over the tree. I believe we had borers that we failed to notice!

Anonymous said...

Go with the robinson crabapple...virtually pest free and easy to grow..you will not be sorry and even if common they are beautiful.